17 March 2021
5 Reasons Your Business MUST Have A Mobile App
According to a study in 2019 by Perficient, for most sites more web traffic came from mobile devices than from desktops. The current number of smartphone users in the world is around 3.2 billion, with that number expected to rise to 3.8 billion in 2021 according to forecasting models by Statista. It is important now more than ever for businesses to begin using the mobile landscape more effectively; one way to do that is by developing and releasing a mobile app for your business. Let’s take a look at some ways having a mobile app can benefit your business.
1. Increase In Web Traffic
As mentioned before, most site traffic across the web comes from mobile devices. With smartphone usage expected to rise throughout the years, that means mobile traffic will continue to rise with it. Having a mobile application is a great way to increase the amount of online traffic your business receives and will also increase repeat visitors. This increased traffic will lead to an increase in brand awareness and interest in the products or services your business has to offer.
2. Growth In Sales
An increase in traffic can mean an increase of potential customers. The people that download your business app are clearly interested in the product or services you have to offer; therefore, this makes them qualified leads.
Mobile devices have a feature called push notifications that ping users with notifications from different apps. Having a mobile app for your business allows you to send a push notification with different messages such
as promotions and discounts or even reminders to finish the check-out process.
This also ties in with the increase of mobile shopping, in 2019 mobile commerce accounted for $203.94 billion, which is 34% of all US commerce sales. This number is expected to rise to $268.21 billion by the end of 2020, and even up to $432.24 by the end of 2022. As consumers continue turning to mobile commerce, having a mobile app gives them that additional channel that allows them to purchase your products or services online.
3. New Communication Channel
While it is clear that mobile is the future it is still important that customers have ability to connect with your business, and that means being able to communicate with them. Having a mobile app gives your business the ability to communicate with a customer from anywhere in the world with a feature like Live Chat. Live Chat is an integration that allows a customer to ask questions about your product or services through the app while an agent from your business responds to them. Your app can also have features such as giving customers the ability to leave product reviews or even answer polls and surveys.
4. Internal Business Communication
Having a mobile app can also help with employee to employee communication. This is especially important for employees that work remotely or for those that are busy and aren’t able to get to their desktops. Employees can
have their own separate employee portal to communicate with each other while working on different projects. Management can send alerts to certain employees with different tasks or send announcements such as upcoming
promotions or policy changes.
Having Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools on the mobile app can also help when employees are attending to customers with their orders, upcoming appointments, or anything else that is customer facing.
5. Customer Loyalty
Giving back to your customers increases their loyalty to your business. By having a mobile app, you can add features such as a point system where customers will receive discounts or a free item once they purchase a certain amount from your business through the app. Here are some examples of businesses that have great customer loyalty programs, and how a mobile app can help:
- Designer Shoe Warehouse (DSW) ran an email marketing campaign that gave notices to their customers of how many points they needed to get their next discount, and what deals they are currently eligible for. On a mobile app, this information can be displayed on a customer’s profile so that they are always aware of exactly how many points they have and what they can spend their points on.
- Starbucks created “My Starbucks Rewards”, a mobile app that tracks customer purchases and rewards them with free items. Not only is this beneficial for the customers to easily know how many points they have to get a free item, but it is also very beneficial to Starbucks. Starbucks is able to collect the purchasing data to understand customer behavior and better learn what products are doing well in certain areas throughout the year.
- Amazon Prime offers their customers unlimited free two-day shipping, as well as exclusive sales. While this program works as a paid membership, it still provides customers with deals that incentivize them to shop with Amazon for their shopping. Creating a similar membership for your business can help with your customer retention rate, and having a mobile app is the perfect place for your customers to know about the perks they get by shopping with your business.
The mobile landscape is convenient to use, and important to become familiar with as mobile traffic continues to rise. Whether you are a new business looking for ways to get more online traffic or an established business looking for new ways to reach your customers, having a mobile app can really help your business enter a channel that has a clear potential for growth.